Thursday, February 21, 2008

Two Alphabet Stories

I received an order for an alphabet cuff recently and it reminded me of how I came to start making them.
.
About 2 years ago a woman named Nancy who lives not far from me, called to order a cuff for her daughter. While she had me on the phone she asked me if could make a cuff with the alphabet on it. Being a lifetime lover of letters, type and type design, I couldn't believe that I hadn't thought of it myself!
Anyway, Nancy went on to tell me that she'd been looking for just such a bracelet since someone told her that if you have one, and you can't bring up a word that you're trying to remember during a conversation, you simply glance at the alphabet on your wrist and the letters on it will help you remember. Apparently it's an Australian thing.
So I made 2 alphabet cuffs for her as well as the other one for her daughter. I made a skinny alphabet cuff for myself and wear it constantly. Since then, Nancy has become one of my best repeat customers - wink, wink!
From the beginning I saw it as a great gift for pre and elementary school teachers.
Which leads me to our next story:
~
About a week ago I got an order for another alphabet cuff from a woman named Chris from North Carolina. She then called me and so wanted me to know that the cuff is a gift for a VERY special teacher that taught her special needs daughter for 8 years. It seems that Mrs. Harriet Brown was exactly the kind of teacher everyone dreams of and over the years became a friend and so much more. In the last year, Mrs. Brown has retired and Chris' daughter has moved on to the next level of school.
Chris tells me that she is a very discriminating shopper and it took her about 3 months to find a gift that said everything she felt she needed to say to this amazing teacher, mentor and friend.
So Chris ordered an alphabet bracelet with this inner inscription:
And we believe that Mrs. Brown will love it!

No comments: